Climber dies after Mt. Hood rescue, several others still stranded


The climber who was rescued Tuesday afternoon on Mt. Hood and transported to a Portland, Oregon hospital has died, Clackamas County Sheriff’s spokesman Brian Jensen told ABC News.

Sometime during the frantic day high up on Oregon’s Mount Hood, a stranded climber used a cellphone to inform authorities and rescuers heading to the peak that the conditions had turned nasty — with falling rocks coming down on the climbers in the group like “a bowling alley.”

Air Force Maj. Chris Bernard, assigned to the 304th Rescue Squadron of the Air National Guard Base in Portland, Oregon, said at a press conference this afternoon that the caller was a climber who “went up the mountain” and reached a popular climbing route known as Hogsback.

Since then, the advice by the authorities has been to turn off the phone to save the battery and only turn it back on intermittently as 40 rescuers come to help the climber and others stranded on the mountain get down to safety.

Jensen estimated there are seven to 15 climbers still up on Mount Hood, he said at the press conference.

He added that however calm the conditions on the mountain may have been earlier in the day, it’s diminished fast.

“There is falling rocks and ice, which is normal when you have freezing at night and it gets so warm during the day that it creates a very hazardous and treacherous situation on the mountain. That’s what we have up today,” Jensen said.

There are two groups dealing with injuries who were stranded on the peak, Jensen said.

Rescuers, he said, were trying to get to two groups of climbers in the Hogsback area.

Update: 1 group of 4 stranded by Hogsback, 1 injured. Another climber fell on Hogsback, is injured, and other climbers are rendering aid. SAR working feverishly to get crews to the climbers.

Jensen assured that rescuers have “been in communication with this group; they are safe.”

They have one cellphone between all of them and enough food and water for a day. It’s this first group that experienced the conditions with ice and rocks falling on them, leaving them stuck.

PHOTO: The Clackamas County Sheriffs Office in Oregon posted this photo to their Twitter account stating that there is currently a search and rescue operation underway for a climber on Mount Hood, Feb. 13, 2017. Clackamas County Sheriffs Office
The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office in Oregon posted this photo to their Twitter account stating that there is currently a search and rescue operation underway for a climber on Mount Hood, 

The second group of climbers are on the backside of Hogsback. One climber in that group, Jensen said, fell around 700 to 1,000 feet below.

Live footage captured by ABC affiliate KATU shows multiple climbers descending from the icy peak using a sharp ax tool.

Jensen said the first distress call was logged at 10:30 a.m. about a fallen climber.

“At the time there were two eyewitnesses to the fall, however, there was nobody with the fallen climber at the time,” he said.

Authorities confirmed to ABC News that the Oregon National Army Guard dispatched a Blackhawk helicopter to support the search and rescue effort on the icy surface.

Oregon Emergency Management official Cory Grogan confirmed to ABC News that “there was an effort to resuscitate a person that they were attempting to rescue.”

It is unclear if the person who was being fiven CPR by multiple people and was airlifted off the peak was the man who passed away.

 The temperature up on Mount Hood, a popular climbing and skiing attraction, ranges from freezing to a warmer climate during the day, creating treacherous conditions.

Grogan reinforced the dangers that hikers from beginners to masters face on Mt. Hood.

“Hikers go up there and they don’t realize how dangerous this mountain can be,” he said. “To hike this mountain — it’s no joke.”

Jensen acknowledged that many novices should probably think twice before attempting to summit Mount Hood.

“We leave that up to the climbers this is a public mountain and we want everyone to enjoy it,” he said. “We just hope that they use common sense and realize that this isn’t a backyard hill, this is a mountain that is deadly.”

Jensen added that the climbers left on the mountain waiting to get rescued are likely experiencing some kind of duress.

“I can’t speak to their mental state,” he said. “I know what mine would be if I was up there though and I would be a wreck.”

ABC News’ Michael Kreisel contributed to this report.

Be the first to comment on "Climber dies after Mt. Hood rescue, several others still stranded"

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: